Gayatri Tapobhoomi Centre in Mathura
The Gayatri Tapobhoomi in Mathura, India was established by Pundit Shriram Sharma Acharya (Gurudev) in 1950 at the conclusion of his 24 Gayatri Mahapurasharan, or recitations of 240,000 Gayatri Mantras per year. The Gayatri Tapobhoomi was the Tapasthali (Place of Penance) of Pundit Shriram Sharma Acharya.
History of Gayatri Tapobhoomi
For the construction of the Gayatri Tapobhoomi, the holy soil and water from 2400 different pilgrimage sites were collected, worshiped, and then used as part of the foundation for the actual building. This sacred land is distinguished by a Yagyashala, which houses an Akhand Agni, or sacred flame from a 700 -year old scared fire ignited by a Siddha Yogi. At the time of establishing the Akhand Agni, Gurudev had fasted for 24 days, only on taking the holy water Ganga. The Pran-Pratistha of Vedmata, Gayatri's idol, was also done at this time. This flame is very important for it contains 24,000 million Gayatri Mantras written by ardent worshippers who offer their oblations here before proceeding further on their various journeys. In addition, the ever-flourishing seed of the Gayatri Pariwar was sown here.
The Gayatri Tapobhoomi was converted into a training center, Yug Nirman Vidyalaya, in 1963 when the Gayatri Mission Manifesto was published in the form of Yug Nirman Satsankalpa. The purpose of this Vidyalaya was to make people self-sufficient and still runs very successfully today
Since 1953, millions of visitors & Parijans have performed Gayatri Anusthan here and participated in the camps. These everyday regular Gayatri Japs as well as Yagya in the Akhand Agni are done, an uninterrupted lamp, Akhand Deep is also lighted here. These everyday Sanskars are being performed without any changes.